3 Kassams Hit South, Gunmen Fire At Farmers As Truce Ends
by Yaakov Katz and Khaled Abu Toameh
December 18, 2008
Palestinian terrorists fired three Kassam rockets at the western Negev on Friday morning, slightly over an hour after the cease-fire between Israel and Gaza factions officially ended.
Two of the rockets landed in open fields in the Eshkol region, while the third slammed into the Sha'ar Hanegev area. No one was wounded and no damage was reported.
Also Friday morning, Gaza terrorists fired at farmers near Kibbutz Nir Oz, in the Eshkol region. No one was wounded, but vehicles were damaged.
Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the attacks.
On Thursday night, Hamas officials in Gaza and Beirut announced that the terror group would not extend the truce. Nevertheless, even before the officials announcement, eleven rockets and six mortar shells had already been fired into Israel, following 24 rockets fired the day before.
In Gaza, Hamas leaders went underground out of fear of being targeted by Israel. The group also evacuated many of its institutions and security installations in anticipation of an escalation with the IDF.
Defense officials said that the only acceptable situation would be complete quiet on the Gaza front, like there was throughout most of the cease-fire and before the IDF launched an operation in November to uncover and destroy a tunnel being dug from Gaza into Israel. The operation triggered a sharp escalation in rocket fire.
"We will only accept quiet like there was before the operation in November," a senior defense official said. "Sporadic fire of several Kassams a day is unacceptable and will lead us to a collision course with Hamas."
On Thursday, OC Southern Command Maj.-Gen. Yoav Galant held a security assessment at his headquarters in Beersheba, after which dozens of armored vehicles deployed along the border with the Gaza Strip. Officers in the Gaza Division said their orders were to be "ready for an escalation at a moment's notice."
IDF sources said the past week's rocket fire was carried out by Islamic Jihad under orders from Hamas to escalate the situation. Hamas, the officers said, wanted to pressure Israel into opening the border crossings and expanding the cease-fire to the West Bank.
IAF bombings of two Islamic Jihad targets in Gaza overnight Wednesday were aimed at sending a message to the terror group that it would pay for its affiliation with Hamas, the officials said.
The decision not to renew the cease-fire was taken following a series of consultations between Hamas and other Palestinian groups in the Gaza Strip. It was being regarded as a victory for the Syrian-based Hamas leadership, which, along with other radical groups such as Islamic Jihad, was strongly opposed to an extension unless Israel lifted its Gaza blockade.
Some Hamas leaders in the Gaza Strip had maintained that the cease-fire should be extended so as not to give Israel an excuse to launch a massive military operation.
Despite the announcement, sources close to Hamas predicted that the movement would eventually agree to abide by a renewed cease-fire. The sources said it was trying to extract concessions from Israel as a precondition for extending the cease-fire.
Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum accused Israel of "destroying" the cease-fire by continuing to target Palestinian gunmen in the West Bank and by refusing to reopen the border crossings into the Gaza Strip.
"There is no room for extending the cease-fire and Israel bears full responsibility for its collapse," he said. "Tomorrow [Friday] will be the
last day of the truce."
Representatives of other groups joined Hamas in declaring that the cease-fire was over.
Saleh Zeidan, a member of the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine, cited the continued Israeli blockade as the reason for letting
the cease-fire lapse. He called on all armed groups in the Gaza Strip to prepare for a new round of confrontation with Israel.
Walid Hils, spokesman for Islamic Jihad, said his organization "reserved the right to defend the Palestinians against Israeli aggression after December 19." He warned Israel against assassinating prominent figures or invading the Gaza Strip, saying it would pay a heavy price for such an "adventure."
Abu Mujahed, spokesman for the Popular Resistance Committees - an alliance of various armed groups in the area - said that Israel had ended the cease-fire through its policy of "killings and incursions" in the Gaza Strip.
Meanwhile, UNRWA announced on Thursday that it had exhausted all stocks of flour in its warehouses in the Gaza Strip. Food distribution, the UN agency said, would be suspended from Thursday until further notice.
Related Topics: Hamas, Palestinian Rockets
receive the latest by email: subscribe to the free jewish policy center mailing list