Baer might not be a disinterested analyst
Reader comment on: The Devil We Know
Submitted by Lin B (United States), Feb 6, 2009 12:09
1) The war led by Maliki, supported by U.S. troops drove the Iraninan supported groups of Sadr right out of Iraq. According to an article published by the NY Times, this was due to some new advanced weapons of the U.S. military which can locate the fighters with incredible accuracy, even at night. One can conclude that Iran's proxys are gone from that conflict because they were decimated by the U.S. advanced weaponry.
2) Oil prices have crashed. All the analysts that I have read say that this is disaster for the Iraninan government which has spent massively on subsidies for basic goods and can't keep this up now.
3) One might expect that Iran is in crisis and could be pressured. NOT the time to throw in the towel.
4) My conclusion is: press hard now. Press Germany and Russia, who are putting in their nuclear facilities. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123379548035950207.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
5) In light of this don't assume that a former CIA agent who writes a book is a disinterested party.
Note: Comments are screened, and in some cases edited, before posting. This site reserves the right to reject anything found to be objectionable.
Other reader comments on this item
Comment on this item