JPC on Twitter   JPC on Facebook   JPC on YouTube  
Subscribe to our Emails

inFOCUS Quarterly

Fall 2014

Europe: Whole and Free?

Contribute

The JPC on JPC on Twitter

A few questions and notes

Reader comment on: Israel's Demographic Miracle

Submitted by mzk1 (Israel), Jun 9, 2013 09:20

First of all, could you please tell me where I can find the data on the birth rate by religious group? I haven't seen the latest government statistics, but I recall that they avoided such a thing.

Secondly, isn't the Dati count 12%, not 17%?

I would like to note that the statistics are quite skewed; by the refusal to count anyone under 25 and to check family size. It would be like only Catholics under 25 were counted. I would estimate that counting children we move it to 10% Chareidi and 15% Dati Leumi, for a total of 25%. Of course, they don't ask denomination, so there is no way to know how many non-Orthodox are included therein. (Also, a look at widows and divorcees shows severe Chareidi undersampling.)

On the other hand, by splitting "traditional" in two, they actually lower the "secular" response; other polls have 55%.

The bit about the freight of Cheridization is a typical bit of anti-Chareidi paranoia caused by the existence of various schools for those of limited background. These schools are at least partly co-ed and have full secular studies. I will venture that they will end up with a higher male army participation rate than, say, PHS 1 (Ironi Aleph) in the left-wing part of Tel Aviv.


Note: Comments are screened, and in some cases edited, before posting. This site reserves the right to reject anything found to be objectionable.

Other reader comments on this item

TitleByDate

Results from stat abstract [62 words]

mzk 

Jun 9, 2013 14:46

⇒ A few questions and notes [215 words]

mzk1 

Jun 9, 2013 09:20

There are other developed countries with near replacement rate fertility [61 words]

Charlie Hall 

Mar 27, 2013 23:00

Question on facts [121 words]

David Sher 

Mar 26, 2013 10:33

Comment on this item

Name
Email Address (optional)
Title of Comments
Comments:

Note: Comments are screened, and in some cases edited, before posting. This site reserves the right to reject anything found to be objectionable.

Follow the Jewish Policy Center

JPC on Twitter   JPC on Facebook   JPC on YouTube   RSS

Make your tax-deductible contribution to the JPC today

The Jewish Policy Center is a not-for-profit, non-partisan, 501(c)3 organization.
The opinions expressed in the pages of this website do not necessarily reflect the views of the Jewish Policy Center, its board, its members, or its staff.